Asexual friends : Tell us your personal story…

Asexualitic : Meet Asexuals Forums General discussion Asexual friends : Tell us your personal story…

This topic contains 223 replies, has 190 voices, and was last updated by  Titus 3 weeks, 1 day ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 221 through 224 (of 224 total)
  • Author

Ben
    Participant

So… after somehow (semi)successfully surviving almost 40 years on this planet… I have just come to terms with the fact that I’m asexual. My last relationship ended earlier this year as my partner at the time used sex very much as a marker for how our relationship was and my lack of enthusiasm led to a gradual increase in problems which ultimately caused me to honestly assess my sexuality. Haven’t entirely worked out how I feel about this yet given that we – apparently – make up just 0.4% of the UK population and that probably makes the possibility of meeting someone fairly slim, but in some senses the idea of not having to deal with being in ‘socio-normative’ relationship is definitely a relief. I do, on the positive side, have a life that I fundamentally love but how to negotiate sharing that with someone on the basis of a sexless relationship is still a bit of mystery to me. Hope does, however, spring eternal… 🙂

Muirén Ní Sídach
    Participant

In order to have children, I wrongly married sex-driven people and hoped my “feelings” would change. Being able to have sex under extraordinary conditions doesn’t make it enjoyable, and you are unlike to be good at something your heart isn’t into.

I married people, who, if they ever really loved me, quickly fell out of love and later admitted they were just showing, telling me what they thought I wanted to hear.

Worse, none of them had any intention of having children, and seriously thinking I would give up on the idea with time.

Two were unfaithful the entire time before and after marriage, with one using me to support her while she earned her doctorate in law which I also paid for. Upon her graduation, she left me.

I gave up hope of a family but not of finding a Co-Creative Partner.

In mainstream American society, sexual attraction is the basis for first contact, so add to this the common stereotype that Black people are religious, anti-intellectual, over-emotional, and hypersexual.

Due to these pervasive stereotypes of Black people and Black culture as much in the ACE community as anywhere else, I rarely believed to be truly asexual and Whites and Lights are certain we cannot possibly have common values, common interests, common goals in life.

So in mainstream society and within the ACE community, I am Othered and the people doing the Othering will say, “Don’t say that about yourself” or offer tone-deaf expressions of comfort for me but really are meant to make them feel better. This is confirmed because the ones offering these “feel good” comments never show any interest in getting to know me on even the most superficial level.

Lorraine
    Participant

I too married thinking that my ideas of sex would change because i had found the “right” partner. I even had one biological child who is worth that entire unpleasant experience. I didnt know about “asexuality” or that identify as one until a few years into my “marriage” (yes i put it on quotations because it couldn’t be considered one). When i read about it, everything clicked. I tried to talk to my spouse about it but he just said that it was a proverbial slap in the face to him and refused to ever speak of it again. I had gone to couselors who suggested if you can believe it) that i get drunk to “loosen up to have sex”. I went to a psychiatrist who suggested that i have MORE sex to “get over it”.
    There is an enourmous lack of knowledge about asexulity and WE suffer for it thinking we’re not “normal”. Even among LGBTQ communities sex can be the norm and we are just “weird”. Its frustrating… and i truly believe we have to form our own support communities to get us through being asexual in a sexual world. My family doesnt know, some of my friends do but none ask me about it. I smile nd nod when my sexual friends tell me about their escapades. But honestly, they may as well be talking about the weather.
    I don’t regret having my child (or the other ones i later adopted)… every day is a wonder through a little one’s eyes. But sex is not something that i want, need or care for. Its not who i am. Yet i live in a sexual world and find myself starved for my kind of intimacy– a sharing of the mind, of the heart and of the hopes for the future. So i look for it here and hope that there are others like me.

Titus
    Participant

What a thread! I have always been attracted to women (fascination of the other) but I have never had any interest in participating in sex. I remember finding an adult magazine at my cousin’s house when I was 13 or so and feeling confused by how badly I wanted to stare at it forever. I grew up in a strict religious household in the 90’s so I didn’t even know women had body hair until then lol.

Even in my mid teens I knew that my aesthetic attraction to the female form was entirely normal and that my distinct lack of sexual desire was abnormal. I had hopes of growing out of it but as an adult I simply went my own way and was only occasionally reminded of my “condition”. I probably had it easier as a guy.

I am 36 now. I first read about asexuality probably 5 years ago and I immediately identified. I went to asexualcupid, set up a profile and within a month I was in a long distance relationship. We met in person after 6 months of video chatting and 1 months after that we broke up. That’s when I realized that asexuality alone is not enough in common to hang a relationship on.

My sexuality is a part of who I am, I’m not trying to build my identity around it.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Membership required to post topics or reply in the forums...

Get it now
Meet asexuals

Asexualitic.com is the first community and dating site for Asexual people. When major dating sites don't recognize our asexuality, we think that asexual people should have a place to meet and talk. Create your Asexualitic.com profile to search and meet other aexuals, or build a platonic relationship.

Join the Asexual community and receive our e-mail newsletter
SIGN INTO YOUR ACCOUNT CREATE NEW ACCOUNT

CREATE ACCOUNT ALREADY HAVE AN ACCOUNT?

FORGOT YOUR DETAILS?

Go up