Currently Reading

Viewing 10 posts - 21 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    Jeffrey
    Spectator

Having just graduated from college, I’ve finally begun reading for pleasure again for the first time in a couple of years! I just started “The Days of Anna Madrigal” the final book in Armistead Maupin’s “Tales of the City” series. Based on the preceding entries, I already know that I will need tissues handy before I get to the end of it! LOL!

Kirsten
    Spectator

I am currently reading “The Dark Net: Inside the Digital Underworld” by Jamie Bartlett. It’s absolutely fascinating.

JTB
    Spectator

I’ve just finished reading Chasing The Dragon by Jackie Pullinger.
    It’s a factual book about an English Christian that went to the Kowloon Walled City in Hong Kong (for those that like all things dystopian, just Google it). It describes how she managed to help heroin addicts, child prostitutes and Triads that had grown tired of their way of life. A fascinating read even if you’re not religious, and it gave me an insight into how religion actually works, seemed to me like it’s more about the faith itself rather than the belief in a God (I’m aware that sounds dim, but I know what I mean – which is the main thing). I’m waiting for the follow up book to be delivered, Crack In The Wall. Highly recommended.

Gabrielle
    Spectator

I am currently reading The Things They Carried by Tim O’Brien for the umpteenth time because it is my favorite book of all time. If anyone hasn’t read I STRONGLY recommend I literally cry everytime I finish reading it; it moves me lol. If you’re interested, here’s a link to the entire book (it starts on page 10, by the way).

Anonymous
    Inactive

hi everybody! i’m currently reading Burnt Tongues which is an anthology of Transgressive fiction short stories put together by Chuck Palahniuk, if anyone else is a fan like of me of this genre I’d highly recommend it, I’m about three quarters of the way through it and I’m really enjoying it.

Also thanks Gabrielle for the link (↑), I’m going to give it a read at a later date 🙂

Emerson L
    Spectator

For fun:
    Ralph Waldo Emerson- Nature
    Born a Crime by Trevor Noah

For school:
    Various introductory science textbooks.
    I believe every human is fascinating because they are a human. I would love to talk with any and all of you!
    PM me if also reading Emerson or if you are a science buff

Anonymous
    Inactive

I got started a few months ago on Infinite Jest, to see what the American literature students crowd were yammering about.

It’s been truly great up until now, and has managed to convince me never to try drugs (and convincing me of anything is no small achievement =P). But it’s looooonnnnng. So just get back to it once in a while, to get a few more hundred pages done.

Dan
    Participant

Quedr, I’ve read quite a few of David Foster Wallaces stories and essays and dug them so much that I started a DFW Readers Meetup discussion group. However, I’ve yet to delve in to his novels, notably “Infinite Jest.” It sounds right up my alley, but I’m not sure I have the patience for it. I look forward to your thoughts on it once you’ve finished.

Dan
    Participant

I’m presently reading “Involution & Evolution: A Rhyming Anti-War Novel.”. Yes, you read that right: It’s written in rhyme, no easy feat, but the author pulls it off brilliantly. The author is Joss Sheldon, an experimental and intriguing writer from the UK. This is his first of three novels, published in 2014, and it is quite a delight. The feel of the book is best expressed on the back cover, conveying its plot and rhyming style:

‘Involution & Evolution’ is a story about understanding overcoming compulsion, love overcoming revulsion, and oneness overcoming abuse. A story about the rare sort of kind geniality, and brave morality, which we all possess but seldom use.

A story about a World War One conscientious objector named Alfred Freeman, who does all that he can, to oppose the war and stand for peace. He performs good deeds, helps people with needs, and disobeys his nation’s police.

But the warmakers hit back with acts of persecution, and threats of execution, which leave Alfred writhing in pain. Will he survive? Will he stay alive? Or will his efforts be in vain?

‘Involution & Evolution’ is full of rhythm and full of rhyme, with a message which echoes through time, and will get inside your head. A scathing critique of modern warfare, with spiritual vigour and poetic flair, it is a novel which needs to be read.

laura
    Participant

The Ringing Cedars series by Vladimir Megre may be interesting to some asexuals because it describes an ancient vedic culture that reserves sex as a rare sacred act only used for conscious conception, and even that act seems of a different kind than what we are commonly taught about sex. It contains a lot of other unusual ideas as well of which i agree with about half, so i think it was worthwhile.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Membership required to post topics or reply in the forums...

Become Member
Meet asexuals

Asexualitic.com is the first community and dating site for Asexual people. When major dating sites don't recognize our asexuality, we think that asexual people should have a place to meet and talk. Create your Asexualitic.com profile to search and meet other aexuals, or build a platonic relationship.

SIGN INTO YOUR ACCOUNT CREATE NEW ACCOUNT

FORGOT YOUR DETAILS?

Go up