Currently Reading

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Hello all~ I’m new to the group but I thought that we could start a topic on what we’re currently reading and post accordingly?

Right now, I’m reading Great House by Nicole Krauss

Anonymous
    Inactive

I’m reading The Spy Who Loved by Clare Mulley.
    It’s a biography about a female Polish spy in WWII that became on of the first woman to gain her parachuting wings. She also was known as one of the best intelligence agents working for the British Government, and broke hearts on a daily basis. Basically she was all around kick ass.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Dexter in the Dark. I know, it’s brain candy. But kind of interesting to read as an ace. Dexter spends a lot of time being separate, not fully getting people and their weird needs. I find he’s sort of relatable…for a serial killer that kills serial killers.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I’m currently reading Heartbroken by Lisa Unger. She’s one of my favourite authors. I’m only about half way through the book though.

Dani
    Participant

I’m reading The Republic of Thieves, the third book in the Lies of Locke Lamora series by Scott Lynch. It’s pretty great. I think I prefer the first two books simply because there is way more sex and romance in this one. It’s a really witty fantasy series about con men (and woman) with some sci-fi twists and hints, interesting characters, and wonderful banter. Ugh, the banter. And the world building is just masterful. Thinking about it makes me want to reread the series again and I’m not even done reading it through the first time yet.

Raell5
    Spectator

Thanks, Haley, for a great suggestion..I immediately went on Amazon Kindle and bought the book, adding it to the seven Kindle books I’d just purchased this morning.
    I usually am reading 5-6 books at a time; new purchases, books I’ve already read multiple times, how-to books for my licensing business, non-fiction memoirs such as non-binary and alternate gender memoirs, Native Indian and African American captive escape memoirs, memoirs and biographies on women and Native American spies during the Civil War and WW ll, and favorite sci-fi books by Robert A Heinlein and John Scalzi inbetween, plus anything else that catches my fancy.
    I’m a speed reader so try to keep extra thick books open on my Kindle, such as Anna Karenina, Heinlein’s Time Enough For Love, Gone with the Wind-LOVE Margaret Mitchell’s great writing. I even visited the Atlanta house where “Peggy” secretly wrote Gone With the Wind, starting from the last sentence, working backwards.

My current light sci-fi book is Podkayne of Mars, which I read between several memoirs and business books (i.e. Stephen Key’s One Simple Idea).

Raell5
    Spectator

Just purchased another pile of Kindle books to read on my laptop and tablet. One I particularly like is an autobiography by Ellen Degenere’s mother;

Love, Ellen: a Mother/Daughter Journey.

I like to skip around from book to book, depending on my mood and/or gender mode (I’m gender fluid) and usually am reading several at a time.

Not here
    Spectator

I just started reading Things Fall Apart by Chinua Achebe, alongside with Fernando Pessoa’s The Book of Disquiet. I still haven’t read enough of either to give a thorough review, but so far both books seem really interesting. The Book of Disquiet consists of little fragments of text observing life in Lisbon and pondering the aspects of human excistance.

• This reply was modified 9 years, 2 months ago by Not here.
    Raell5
    Spectator

I’ve read a pile of Native American Indian captive memoirs and spy autobiographies in past couple of months, but Wild Swans-a true story of three generations of Chinese before and during the Communist Revolution, by Jung Chang, is fantastic!!

I would recommend it, but it’s already so popular, I probably don’t need to say more.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I have just finish reading the latest book by Robin Hobb called Fool’s Assassin. To anyone who hasn’t read her books and like to read fantasy it is a must. Most of her books focus on a world she has created and each series just add more to the overall story that has been building. Now I must wait for the next one.

Raell5
    Spectator

Reading Third Culture Kids: Growing Up Among Worlds. It’s about people who spent a chunk of childhood in one or more a non-passport countries.
    Very interesting, and so, so, so ME. Also, President Obama.
    The book ties in studies of other people who show the same characteristics as TCKs..adopted children, immigrants, refugees, even children of divorce. People cope in similar ways.

Domi
    Participant

For school:
    Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte
    I hate Joseph with a passion.
    I dislike Cathrine Linton and Hindley.
    While I think Heathcliff needs to just…not…, I find that I sort of understand him and his reasoning.

For pleasure:
    Incarceron by Catherine Fisher
    The Terminal Man by Michael Crichton

I just got them and haven’t started yet.

Raell5
    Spectator

I have trouble reading the older, Victorian books unless they are VERY well written, or transcend the ” female-as-passive-victim-trying-to-marry-someone rich” mentality. Actually, that’s a current viewpoint for many today.

I was born a book critic..I HATED many of the book classics that I constantly read and reread as a very young child just because they were in our bookcase and I had access to no other books…(MUST..READ!!)
    Also I read many books I had no business reading at such a young age, like “Kim” by Rudyard Kipling, and the original Gulliver’s Travels (it made me a cynic at too young an age).

I first saw a library when I was ten, while in the USA. My parents dropped me off at a local library (I can’t remember which state, but I think it was in IN) while they took French language classes. I couldn’t believe my eyes!! I was in heaven. Several days later I found out I could TAKE SOME HOME with me!! What a racket!!

The outside world no longer existed any more..just books!! NEW BOOKS I HADN’T ALREADY MEMORIZED!!

Carrie
    Spectator

I just finished “The Bone Season” by Samantha Shannon. Now I am reading its sequel “The Mime Order (The Bone Season Book 2)” This is a fantasy which is a little different for me since I like sci-fi and steampunk, but these are really enjoyable books….and no sex.

Anonymous
    Inactive

After a long time I finally started to read “American Gods” by Neil Gaiman.

Rebecca
    Spectator

Hello all, new member here. I’m currently reading Where the Air is Sweet by Tasneem Jamal. It follows two generations of the same family before, during and after the expulsion of Asians from Uganda.

new in town
    Spectator

Hi, I just joined your forum. I’m currently reading a book about stoicism written by a young author by the name of Ryan Holiday. It ‘s well written by giving examples or famous ppeople who lives a stoic life. I enjoy reading books about philosophy and this book is a kind of a light version of philosophy. I do enjoy reading it :-).

David Hill
    Spectator

I recently started reading David McCullough’s biography of John Adams.

Twilight Clarke
    Spectator

Hello everyone, I’m currently reading A Florentine Death by Michele E Guittari ^^

Lore
    Spectator

Hello every body!
    Thanks for sharing your readings, I have just added a couple of titles from your posts to my list of “pending books” and that it is always a motive of happyness for me.

I am currently reading “In cold Blood” by Capote. I usually don´t go for this kind of genre but i got curious after watching the movie “Capote”. In there, the novel is depicted as a turning point in non-fictional literature. The whole concept is a bit morbid but to be appreciated for the originallity of it.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Membership required to post topics or reply in the forums...

Become Member
Meet asexuals

Asexualitic.com is the first community and dating site for Asexual people. When major dating sites don't recognize our asexuality, we think that asexual people should have a place to meet and talk. Create your Asexualitic.com profile to search and meet other aexuals, or build a platonic relationship.

SIGN INTO YOUR ACCOUNT CREATE NEW ACCOUNT

FORGOT YOUR DETAILS?

Go up