So that 50th anniversary episode

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    Meliss
    Participant

Who’s ready to cry for about two hours?

Good ol’ doctor who and it’s ability to make you cry.

Semok
    Participant

My roommate has been going crazy over the trailer. She’s seen it over a million times and has paused each second of the trailer to make sure she didn’t miss anything important. I have to admit that I haven’t been a fan of the episodes once Moffat took over, so I stuck with it just for the 50th anniversary episode. XD

I would also say that Dr. Who has more of an ability to give you nightmares, such as with Don’t Blink.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I can’t wait!!!
    I’m a crier. I love how the show completely drags you in. Remember the episode when the Doctor and Donna went to Pompeii—-Fixed point my butt!—I was crying so hard. Oh man, and the way Ameilia and Rory departed the show. Damn weeping angels ๐Ÿ™

Anonymous
    Inactive

I just can’t get into liking Clara, though. I don’t know why.

Jennifer Small
    Participant

I’m getting my feels ready. :-/

Meliss
    Participant

@ Semok: Oh goodness I know the feeling! I’ve been doing that too. I have to make sure I have every detail down. It’s so intoxicating. I do agree though, Moffat’s sort of taken the show down a few pegs, but, I can’t just give it up. It’s done too much for me as a show, haha.

@Steph
    : Oh my lord, yes. I think though the episode that killed me the most was when Rose came back and Donna had to lose her memory; and Ten had to watch her forget him completely and that just broke me to bits. Amy and Rory’s demise also had me in tears.

@Jennifer
    : *pets* I don’t think we can ever get our feelings ready for this. It’s going to kill us all.

Semok
    Participant

Yeah, I don’t think I could ever give up Dr. Who, but I’ve just been less impressed. That being said, I am excited about the 50th anniversary episode, especially since David Tennant will be in it. XD

acegeek
    Participant

I know I’m gonna be bawling my eyes out. 11th isn’t my favorite Doctor, but I’ve come to like him and not want him to die. I refuse to watch the trailer though as I feel like it’s going to make the wait feel longer and also hype me up way too much so then I’ll be disappointed in the actual show.

Talisa V
    Participant

Despite my excitement about my favourite foul-mouthed Scottish dinosaur becoming the doctor, I will probably cry like a baby at 11’s death. And I’m really looking forward to the sass wars between 10 and 11 (though, let’s be real: if 9 was in there, he would out-sass them in a matter of seconds).

Talisa V
    Participant

But I have to insert the obligatory “please don’t fuck this up, Moffat!” comment here.

Semok
    Participant

I back up that comment. XD

acegeek
    Participant

I’m so afraid Moffat will mangle the story. He reminds me of JJ Abrams in that he makes this fantastic stories… But they both don’t know how to wrap them up. They become much more convoluted than they need to be (Ponds, I’m looking at you!) and you end up confused and unsatisfied with the ending.

Semok
    Participant

I also find that his stories have a lot of plot holes and they don’t fit well with previous episodes, like how all the rules about how weeping angels work are just thrown out of the window just to make ’em creepier.

acegeek
    Participant

True, but that happens in all sci-fi and fantasy. Rarely do writers stick to the facts of the rules they create if bending that rule means they can make a more interesting story happen.

I’m particularly noticing it in the Star Trek series (currently rewatching Voyager). Every episode is like a new universe where the previous rules and relationships no longer apply.

I wonder if the classic Who did this a lot, or is this more of a modern day sci-fi acceptance.

Semok
    Participant

I’m sure it has happened a lot of times in the classic Dr. Who. In fact, I know for a fact it did in one of the older movies since I watched it not too long ago. For some reason, though, it just seems to stick out more to me in the Moffat episodes. It could possibly be because Moffat made a lot of episodes that played off of one another, which sends the message that all the rules are consistent throughout, but then it threw a lot of the older rules out, which left me confused. On it’s own, I think I would have enjoyed the Moffat episodes better had I not seen past episodes, despite some of the plot holes.

Anonymous
    Inactive

@ Melissa– AW man, why’d you have to remind me of that episode! It was so heart wrenching. Donna is my favorite Companion. I used to think she was annoying, but then I just loved her!
    @ semok–“On itโ€™s own, I think I would have enjoyed the Moffat episodes better had I not seen past episodes,” That is very true.
    @Talisa-LOL Sass wars.

Semok
    Participant

Ok, not going to ruin anything. All I’m going to say is that I just finished watching the anniversary episode and I was not impressed. A lot of people said they enjoyed it, and I leave it up to everyone to make their own judgements, but I was not a fan.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I am also not impressed. I was completely underwhelmed. In fact, there have been regular episodes that have been far superior. Maybe if it had not been hyped so much, I would have not been as disappointed. I’m glad I didn’t got to the movie theaters to watch it.

Sharon
    Participant

@Semok & @Steph – For reals? I was suitably whelmed. I thought there were so many traps Moffat could have fallen into with this one and he successfully navigated his way around them. (Honestly, the fact that we got Actual Ten and Rose/Moment rather than bringing back Duplicate Ten and Actual Rose from the alternate dimension (where they were, presumably, making kissy face at each other) was enough to make me happy.) A little Ten/Eleven banter; a little Gallifrey history rewrite; and a few nods to the original series which were obvious enough for even a casual viewer to get — I thought they genuinely pulled this one off.

Then again, once it was over, I watched “The Five(ish) Doctors Reboot” online and laughed my butt off. Maybe I’m just easy to please that way.

Also: Hi!

Semok
    Participant

I will say that I enjoyed the Ten/Eleven banter moments. That was enjoyable. I just didn’t like how a lot of things made no sense, and I don’t know if I should go into too much detail in fear of those who may not have seen it yet. There were just too many instances of things that should not have been able to happen, and the explanation as to why was just a quick side note. It bothers me when past episodes have to work around obstacles that are later no longer important at all in later episodes.

I also didn’t like the rewrite, though I will again not go into too much detail. I’ll just say that when you start to eliminate negative events that gave a character depth, it makes them lose that depth.

I did enjoy some parts, though, so don’t get me wrong. I just feel like it wasn’t as good as it could have been. I agree that it could have been due to all the hype it got, making it nearly impossible to ever live up to everyone’s expectations.

Also: Hiya!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Membership required to post topics or reply in the forums...

Become Member
Meet asexuals

Asexualitic.com is the first community and dating site for Asexual people. When major dating sites don't recognize our asexuality, we think that asexual people should have a place to meet and talk. Create your Asexualitic.com profile to search and meet other aexuals, or build a platonic relationship.

SIGN INTO YOUR ACCOUNT CREATE NEW ACCOUNT

ร—

ร—
FORGOT YOUR DETAILS?
ร—

Go up