The AMV that says it all

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Have you ever seen amv that speechlessly captures the essence/hidden truth/pure brilliance of a show in the few minutes that it plays? Well, here’s a thread to share and discuss it!

So, first off give a link to the AMV, and then just describe how/why you think it illustrates the anime so perfectly.

side note: I’m hoping this devolves into a deep discussion about the amvs and shows themselves. -rubs hands excitedly- Not that I actually have any time to spend doing this.. Oh well. 😀

Anonymous
    Inactive

..all credit to sharnii2 for this remarkable work of art.

SPOILERS!! Seriously, don’t read this if you haven’t watched Utena… you probably shouldn’t even see the AMV >.>

Shoujo Kakumei Utena (Revolutionary Girl Utena) is one of my favorite anime of all time. The depth of metaphor and symbolism in this show is rare. I recommend it to anyone who enjoys reconstruction of fairytales/myths, contemplating feme roles, introspection, ikemen, revolution, and more.

This AMV is perfection. One interesting thing about Utena is that the manga (and the show for the most part) is entirely from Utena’s perspective. However, the story’s central character (one later realizes) is actually Anthy. Everything started with her, or rather – she and her morning star, Dios.

The lyrics “No dawn, no day. I’m always in this twilight -” could not realize her situation any better. When she became a witch, time stopped for her. Her and Dios created Ohitori, the world’s egg, a dimension where nothing changed. “I took the stars from my eyes and then I made a map” And Anthy did ultimately create Utena. It’s subtle, and something we don’t figure out until later, but for all Utena’s claiming she wished to be a prince because of the prince she met – she actually wanted to become a prince because of Anthy, something she had forgotten. “I heard your heart beat, you were in the darkness too. So I stayed in the darkness too. ” This is ultimately the reason she betrays Utena. As much as she despises him, she still feels this responsibility towards/belief in Akio, the ‘prince’.

And finally “..in the shadow of your heart.”. This line basically descibes Anthy’s entire existence. Until Utena reaches her.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Membership required to post topics or reply in the forums...

Become Member
Meet asexuals

Asexualitic.com is the first community and dating site for Asexual people. When major dating sites don't recognize our asexuality, we think that asexual people should have a place to meet and talk. Create your Asexualitic.com profile to search and meet other aexuals, or build a platonic relationship.

SIGN INTO YOUR ACCOUNT CREATE NEW ACCOUNT

FORGOT YOUR DETAILS?

Go up