Asexual Appeal of Twilight

Asexualitic : Meet Asexuals Forums Group Forums Ace Twilight Saga Fans Asexual Appeal of Twilight

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

One of the main reasons I am Twilight fan is the way Edward and Bella develop a beautiful romance, founded on sacrificial love, true desire for the good of the other and giving rather than use. While neither character is asexual, the fact that Edward was willing to have a life-long, celibate romantic relationship with Bella, for the sake of her happiness and safety, really touched my heart as an asexual gal. Edward does not date Bella to gain sexual favors, nor does he use her to gratify himself. He loves her heart, personality, soul and body, unselfishly. In the words of Bella, “I love him . Not because he’s beautiful or because he’s rich !…I’d much rather he weren’t either one. It would even out the gap between us just a little bit — because he’d still be the most loving and unselfish and brilliant and decent person I’ve ever met. Of course I love him. How hard is that to understand?”

I admit, Edward has his flaws. He wouldn’t be a realistic character if he was perfect. And those flaws are worth discussing in terms of his moral character. But I consider his sacrificial, selfless love his redeeming quality and the highlight of the series.

Maryse
    Spectator

Mmm said like that it is true, but when I read it I was kind of offended by how passionate Bella was with Edward so early on. To be honest it was frightening me, and I was kind of proven right when she lost Edward and nearly committed suicide. Don’t get me wrong, I’m a big fan of twilight but I’m still afraid of what kind of love they had… in the end they were more balanced, it helped she finally got transformed.

Who was your favourite character by the way? As for myself it was Jasper all the way, I was happy everytime I could have a bit of information about him.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Interesting perspective. I’m sorry that part was offensive to you.

It’s actually a misconception that Bella tried to commit suicide. While she certainly engaged in some reckless and dangerous pursuits, cliff jumping included, she mentions several times throughout New Moon that killing herself was never her intent. First of all for Charlie’s sake, and also for her own.

Honestly it is so hard for me to choose! I think my favorite character would have to be Edward, for the fact that he was romantic, gentle, unimposing, and my personal brand of fantasy material, reference intended. 🙂 Although Carlisle would be a close second. I highly admire his strong sense of virtue, his compassion, his dedication to helping others, and his steadfast moral compass. I would love to read short stories from Carlisle’s perspective!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Membership required to post topics or reply in the forums...

Become Member
Meet asexuals

Asexualitic.com is the first community and dating site for Asexual people. When major dating sites don't recognize our asexuality, we think that asexual people should have a place to meet and talk. Create your Asexualitic.com profile to search and meet other aexuals, or build a platonic relationship.

SIGN INTO YOUR ACCOUNT CREATE NEW ACCOUNT

FORGOT YOUR DETAILS?

Go up